The Antiques and Fire Department History
The Franklin Fire Department was organized in the old store room of the New Jersey Zinc Company's store on
March 9th, 1911 (in what at the time was called 'Franklin Furnace.)
The Department was known as the New Jersey Zinc Company Fire Department of Franklin, N.J. For a number of years
During that time they used the store room as a meeting place for Department meetings.
The original equipment consisted of three hand-drawn hose carts, and one hand-drawn ladder cart.
This equipment was furnished by The New Jersey Zinc Company,
as was the hose up to the time Franklin was incorporated as a Borough
After the formation of the Borough the Fire Department was then under the control of the Mayor and Council in 1913
The equipment was turned over to the Borough, and the Fire Department came under Municipal control.
The organization became a member of the New Jersey Firemen's Association in 1915.
Due to the growth of the town, in 1916 it became necessary to have more efficient apparatus and an American La France pumper was purchased.
The First chauffeurs were; Frankl Straulina, Andrew Salvas, Daniel Van Auken and Francis X. Hyde.
In 1920 Fire Departments in Sussex County formed the Sussex County Firemen's Association, which the Franklin Fire Department had an active role in helping to organize.
Prior to the 1960's the fire department remained at its original location on Main Street (current location of the Library) However there were talks of expanding the department to a new location.
In 1963 they completed building the new fire house at it's present location
at the intersection of Buckwheat Road and High Street,
However the original building didn't look exactly like it does today.
The present day Bar/lounge, Antique Museum and Kitchen were not where they are today.
The bar was downstairs near the far right bay (Fourth bay from the left), which is now the Line Officer's Room.
The Kitchen was upstairs in the Bingo Hall and was extremely small.
In 1980's the FFD expanded their building adding the present day Kitchen and the Antique Museum to the fire house store the antique trucks.
In the early 90's the FFD expanded their building once again adding the bar/lounge to its present day location.
Today the Franklin Fire Department currently has over 30 active firefighters and four apparatus.
And they still have their original 1915 and 1926 American La France pumpers
which are fully restored as well as their hose carrier on a Stewart chassis.
The following links contain a Callboard article by Pete Eisele on the FFD and its antiques.
Adobe Reader is required to view it.